Safety alerts are published by Safe Transport Victoria (ST Vic) under section 197 of the Transport Integration Act 2010 (Vic) to promote the safe operation of transport services. Safety alerts are intended to provide information only and must be read in connection with obligations under relevant legislation.
Warning for waterway users of flooded inland rivers and lakes including Lake Nagambie, Goulburn, Loddon, Campaspe, Yarra and Macalister Rivers
- Many inland waterways have been impacted following the recent riverine flooding event.
- Paddlers and boaters are reminded to beware of waterways during and after heavy rain.
- There is an increased danger from extreme currents and water movement.
- An increased risk is present from submerged objects and debris such as logs and other objects floating on and under the surface.
- Hazardous conditions are expected to remain until water levels subside.
- While boaters are free to use waterways they should exercise extreme care and keep a look out for navigation hazards.
- Avoid creating excess wake and wash to inundated areas.
- Let someone know before you go, wear a lifejacket, and always check the waterway before undertaking boating activity. Find out more.
- Check flood and weather warnings with the Bureau of Meteorology, and in the case of flood warnings, avoid using the waterway. Victorian Warnings Summary (bom.gov.au)