17 October 2022
SA. No. 2022-05
Safety alerts are published by Safe Transport Victoria (ST Vic) under section 197 of the
Transport Integration Act 2010 (Vic) to promote the safe operation of transport services.
Safety alerts are intended to provide information only and must be read in connection with
obligations under relevant legislation.
Maribyrnong River and Lower Yarra River re-opened after restrictions lifted.
The Maribyrnong River and Lower Yarra River have been re-opened to boating
following the riverine flooding event.
- While boaters are now free to return to the waterways they should exercise extreme
care and keep a look out for navigation hazards.
- Paddlers and boaters are reminded to beware of waterways during and after heavy
- An increased risk remains from submerged objects and debris such as logs and
other objects floating on and under the surface.
- Check flood and weather warnings with the Bureau of Meteorology, and in the case
of flood warnings, avoid using the waterway. Victorian Warnings Summary
- Let someone know before you go, wear a lifejacket, and carry a distress beacon.
- Know what to do if an incident occurs: What to do in an emergency | Safe Transport
THIS ADVICE IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
Director Maritime Safety
Authorised delegate of Safe Transport Victoria