This form is to be completed by persons who propose to conduct a waterway event/ boating activity on Safe Transport Victoria managed waters or unmanaged waters and who wish to apply for either an exemption or an exclusion zone and exemption or modification from the application of provisions of the:
- Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic);
- Marine Safety Regulations 2012 (Vic);
- State waterway rules; or
- Regulations made under the Port Management Act 1995 (Vic).
Safe Transport Victoria can only issue boating activity exemptions and exclusion zones in relation to the operation of vessels on waters under its control or unmanaged waters.
In order for Safe Transport Victoria to meet the requirements under the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic), including assessment, government gazette and newspaper notices, you must lodge a complete application and associated documents at least three weeks before an event – It’s recommended you apply six weeks before an event.
If you are conducting a series of events at different waterways, you may need to complete a separate application form for each waterway to address the safety issues for each individual location.
As part of your application you will need to provide an assessment of safety risks associated with the boating activity exemption or modification and the proposed risk controls to be implemented to eliminate or reduce those safety risks. Your application cannot be considered without a risk assessment.
Also, as part of your application you will need to provide supporting documents. Your application cannot be considered until you have provided:
- A waterway map showing, the area of the event, all proposed exclusion zones, safety distances between area of use, shore, infrastructure, direction of traffic, type and location of all infrastructure including markers/ buoys, boat ramps, moored infrastructure and moored vessels and emergency access from the water.The map cannot be hand drawn. Maps must show relevant infrastructure and reference Lat/Long coordinates to WGS84.
- Fireworks fall-out zones and Work Cover approvals. If fireworks are proposed at the event, you must also provide on the waterway map (or a separate map), details of the fireworks fall out zones showing minimum separation distances for detonation of fireworks in accordance with reg 155 of the Dangerous Goods (Explosive) Regulations 2011 (Vic) and a copy of the Work Cover approvals.
- Safety Management Plan (SMP). If the event is operating under the rules/safety management plan of a national or state recognised body, a copy of the rules or SMP if you have not already provided it to Safe Transport Victoria within the last 12 months.
- If you have a program/running sheet of the event including set up and breakdown, and an emergency plan you should also attach these (optional).
You must have a minimum of $20M public liability insurance coverage for the event
You must have a cancellation policy outlining when the event will be cancelled if the safety risks are deemed to high for the event to go ahead or continue.
There is no fee to lodge this from.